What is Telegram?
Telegram is a well-known messaging application available on multiple platforms. The service is available on many platforms, including Android and iOS, and on the Web using any compatible browser. Telegram claims to use high encryption to ensure the complete security of its users’ data and exchange messages.
Telegram has made the source code of its applications open source, allowing other informed users to decode and point out problems. Telegram is not owned by a large company like Google or Facebook , which means you can be less skeptical about the use of your information in advertising and other privacy matters.
Telegram claims to have more than 400 million active users, which is just a fraction of the more than 1 billion users of Facebook’s WhatsApp messenger . Although the number of users is still small, it is gaining a growing share in the fast messaging application industry and is expected to grow rapidly in the coming years.
Telegram is one of the best encrypted messaging applications and offers distributed messaging with cross-platform, end-to-end encrypted cloud features without any ad waiting on your messages. The service is similar to Apple’s iMessage, but more reliable and has custom apps for all platforms, including Mac, PC, Linux, iOS and Android .
The Telegram app also allows you to have secret conversations with messages that don’t exist, as they do on Snapchat. However, Telegram has been criticized by some information security experts for not testing cryptography and not being reliable enough for use by people who transmit sensitive information. Telegram is also one of the most popular applications used by the ISIS group.
How To Use Telegram
The process of using Telegram on your device is very simple, start downloading your application from the existing official App Store or Telegram website . Telegram can be used on iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, Mac, Chrome and the Web . To use the application and service in a desktop application or on the web, you must first install the application on a phone.
How is Telegram Downloaded and Installed?
- After downloading the Telegram application to your mobile phone, open it and register by entering your phone number.
- Telegram will make an automated call to your phone number to check if your phone number is valid. You do not need to accept this phone because it is automatic, and Telegram detects incoming calls and automatically confirms your account. Alternatively, in some cases you can get an SMS OTP password.
- Now you need to give Telegram basic permissions to access your media and other things. So, if you send or receive pictures in Telegram, it can show you files from the gallery inside your application.
- After completing the installation, you can go to the settings section of the Telegram application and add an additional password or two-factor authentication.
- Go to the hamburger menu in the upper left corner and go to the Privacy and Security section of the Settings application. Here you can open the Password section and set 2FA authentication in the same section.
- You can now proceed to install Windows, Chrome or macOS and use Telegram on your desktop or Mac.